Jacole Prince, charged with starving child and locking her in closet, withdraws guilty plea

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jacole Prince, who is charged with starving her daughter and forcing her to stay in a closet, once again failed to enter a plea Tuesday in Jackson County court.

Instead during the plea hearing, Prince told Judge John Torrence that she wanted another attorney to be appointed to represent her. Prince initially had pleaded guilty in January to charges of child abuse and assault, which would have lessened a possible life sentence to 20 years in prison.

But then Prince wrote Judge Torrence, telling him that she never wanted to plead guilty, and last week the judge allowed her to withdraw her plea.

On Tuesday during the hearing, Torrence was brusque when he learned Prince was not in court to enter a plea. 

"If that's not the case, that's not the case," Torrence said. "So be it."

He ordered her case sent to the presiding judge to be reassigned to another division where a new judge will set a trial date and also determine if Prince needs a new attorney to represent her.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments