Local daycare notified parents one child diagnosed with MRSA, a staph infection

SHAWNEE, Kan. - A local daycare notified parents about a contagious infection that kept one preschooler home this week.

A mother called KinderCare at 63rd and Long in Shawnee, Kan., Monday and said that her child had been diagnosed with MRSA, a staph infection. The child is getting treatment and stayed home to recover.

MRSA is commonly spread in places such as hospitals and daycares, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The germ can sometimes cause serious blood and skin infections. It can also lead to pneumonia. It can appear on the skin as a red swollen bump. Hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread of the germ.

"When we were first informed we were a little bit worried, but then after understanding a little bit. They take all of the precautions here,” one parent, Julian Bickford, said. 

KinderCare notified parents about the case and explained the symptoms. In a statement they wrote:

We’ve followed our standard classroom sanitization procedures in the discovery preschool classroom. In addition, we’re taking every opportunity to make sure children properly wash their hands throughout the day. 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments