KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A local girl has a lunch date of a lifetime at the White House.
It's all because 8-year-old Jasmy Seetala created an impressive healthy recipe.
It was so impressive, the Lawrence girl got an invitation to eat lunch with First Lady Michelle Obama this week.
"That was cool!" she said with a smile.
Out of 1,500 children, the White House chose one winner from each state for its 2014 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.
Seetala submitted her favorite dish, Tangy Veggy Springetty.
The judges said her original recipe showed a thorough understanding of how to cook and how to eat deliciously from all the food groups.
The competition is in its third year.
The trip is quite impressive: a pizza party with the White House chefs and a tour.
"I'm looking forward to meeting all the other kids who won the competition," Seetala said.
She said she likes cooking, but she'll be an artist when she grows up.
If you'd like to give Seetala's Tangy Veggy Springetty a try, here's the recipe:
“My Name is Jasmy. I love to help my Dad grow vegetable and fruits in our home garden and love to help my mom use those veggies in different ways with our cooking. My Favorite dish is this spaghetti with lots of vegetables and shrimp cooked in lemony sauce. I like to eat this with fresh fruit or fruit smoothie on side.”
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Fresh lemon Juice (from about 2 lemons)
1 tbsp lemon Zest (from about 2 lemons)(Optional)
1 tbsp minced garlic (2 or 3 garlic cloves)
1/2 tea sp white wine vinegar (Optional)
1 Pound Spaghetti or Angel hair Pasta (Any whole wheat or white pasta works, too)
3/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups Fresh or Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Peas, beans, corn, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach or any other veggies you like)
1 cup cooked or canned garbanzo beans (any beans you like)(Optional)
20 count shrimp (cooked and divined)
1) Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
2) Remove tiny shreds off the peel of the lemon (lemon zest) and Juice the lemon.
3) Make slit around the shrimp with a knife.
4) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add all the veggies, add the spaghetti and cook until pasta and veggies are tender, about 8 -10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
5) While spaghetti is cooking add olive oil in a separate pan and heat it up
6) When the oil is hot and ready put the minced garlic and shrimp to the pan. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on shrimp and cook about 5 min or until the shrimp is done cooking. Save the shrimp in a separate bowl.
7) Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and enough reserved cooking liquid (1/4 cup at a time), Whisk until the sauce is well mixed.
8) Add the spaghetti to this lemony sauce, and toss with the lemon zest, beans and cooked shrimp. Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste. Season with Grated Parmesan cheese. Viola Tasty Tangy Springy Spaghetti is ready to eat.