Metro homeowners fight to keep their homes after what they call mortgage scam

Homeowner hopefuls head to court

Several metro homeowners are fighting to keep their homes after what they’re calling a mortgage scam. They signed owner financing agreements, but they said the owner isn’t holding up his end.

Kelly Ramey walked through her Kansas City homes pointing out rotted wood and a myriad of malfunction on Aug. 2. At the time, she didn't know the owner of the property was trying to evict her.

“They filed a landlord tenant eviction with the Jackson County courts,” Ramey said.

Ramey is one of 13 homebuyers Tri-State Holdings, LLC, is trying to evict due to lack of payment.

The buyers said they've stopped payments because the company hasn't done the work promised in their owner financing agreement.

Tri-State Holdings owner Brandon Miller disagrees. He said they stopped working because the buyers stopped paying.

“We probably missed a few things, but nothing major. All electrical was done, all the plumbing was done,” Brandon said.  

Ramey’s house has a room where the whole wall rotted out. The front of the house shows the window fell out and is boarded up.

41 Action News has learned that the Missouri Attorney General's office is investigating Tri-State Holdings and Francis Jeffrey Miller, Brandon's father.

“He worked here for a while, but he's doing other stuff now,” Brandon said.

In 2010, a federal judge sentenced, F. Jeffrey Miller to 108 months in  prison for conspiracy to commit bank fraud and money laundering in a multi-million dollar mortgage fraud scheme.

Brandon said the senior Miller no longer worked for his company.

“He was a field inspector; but he didn't go collect money or anything like that,” Brandon said.

Ramey disagrees; she has a receipt with Jeffrey Miller’s signature on it.

"I've had a few dealings with Brandon, but usually I talk to Jeff," Ramey said.

Brandon Miller has given the tenants options to get out of their contracts. They refused and said they want to own their homes.

The judge continued Thursday’s hearing until Aug. 21. 

Print this article Back to Top