Police believe one or both of two teens from KC killed Portland great-grandmother

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Newly released court documents reveal more information about the murder of a great-grandmother in Oregon. The two suspects are from the Kansas City area.

The documents show 71-year-old Jacqueline Bell may have been murdered with a sledgehammer in her Portland, Ore., home.

One of two young men charged with her murder is Bell's great-grandson 17-year-old Joda Cain.

Cain's grandmother, Rustee, spoke exclusively Saturday with 41 Action News saying she thinks this newly unsealed document proves his innocence.

Bell was Rustee's mother-in-law, and she knew Bell for more than 40 years. She said, "We all suffered a loss and Joda really suffered a loss because he really did love her."

According to an affidavit filed in support of a murder charge against 19-year-old Micus Ward, Cain and another friend, Randy Draper, told police they were downstairs at Bell's home on Oct. 5 when they heard someone screaming.

Ward, however, had another story.

Ward, who is Cain's cousin on his father's side, said it was Joda who woke him up to ride in his great-grandmother's car.

"The guy that was sleeping also seen Joda run up the stairs when they heard the noise, so how did that have to do with the ride? That doesn't even make any sense," responded Rustee.

Ward also told investigators that Cain had sent him a text message days before the crime, saying his grandmother had assets totaling $7 million and that he wanted her dead.

But Rustee can't imagine that money would be a motive for her grandson.

Joda's been going down there since he was four," she said. "Jackie would have given Joda anything, and she did. Joda didn't want for nothing."

Cain pleaded not guilty in October. He and Ward were taken into custody after leading police on a high-speed chase in Bell's car.

Cain's grandmother just wants whoever is responsible to pay.

"I love Jackie, and I do want her murderer to stay in jail forever, Rustee said.

Ward and Cain are expected to be back in court in Oregon sometime in the next 60 days.

Print this article Back to Top