KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The last time the Royals led the division this late in the season was in 2003. Before that - 1980. Do you remember what you were doing? More specifically, do you remember where you were on June 25, 1980? That's the date the Royals took the crown for the first place throne. More than 9,000 people were at that game.
In this #ThrowbackThursday we take a look at way back when:
- President Carter was in office.
- Prince William was born a few days before - a couple of years later
- The Rubik's Cube saw a surge in popularity. Though it was invented in 1974. It didn't hit the mainstream until 1980.
- The Blues Brothers was one of the top movie releases.
- "Funky Town" by Lipps Inc . was the No. 1 song in the U.S.
- Robert Ludlum’s "The Bourne Identity" was published
Interestingly enough, on that great day in 1980 - Hall of Famer George Brett didn't play. Still, he went on to win the American League MVP.