JUNE 11, 2013 - A home is seen burning in the Black Forest wildfire in Colorado. The fire has destroyed 92 homes (as of late June 11, 2013) and damaged many more.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. A FIRST PITCH FROM 1,800 MILES AWAY
A sick teen in Kansas City threw out the first pitch for a baseball game in Oakland, Cali., Wednesday night.
2. WEATHER THREATENS HISTORIC US OPEN
The major is returning to the Merion course near Philadelphia for the first time in 32 years, but the region has seen more than six inches of rain, muddying the fairways.
3. 10-YEAR-OLD GETS NEW LUNGS
Sarah Murnaghan was recovering from the surgery made possible by a judge's controversial ruling that expanded her options for lifesaving surgery.
4. NSA HEAD SAYS SPY PROGRAM STOPPED TERROR ATTACKS
Army Gen. Keith Alexander told Congress that the collection of millions of telephone and Internet records foiled a 2009 plot to bomb New York's subways.
5. QUILTING COMPANY HELPS REVITALIZE TOWN
The success of the Missouri Star Quilting Company has helped revitalize downtown Hamilton, Mo.
6. THOUSANDS FLEE RAGING COLORADO WILDFIRE
More than 9,000 were told to leave the Black Forest, where an 18-acre blaze had destroyed nearly 100 homes.
7. LORD STANLEY LOGS A LITTLE OVERTIME
The Chicago Blackhawks beat the Boston Bruins in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals Wednesday night in triple overtime.
8. THEIR LOVE IS STRONG AFTER ALMOST 70 YEARS
An Independence, Mo., couple is preparing to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary.
9. WHERE BABY BOOMERS AREN'T GOING
Rural America, which Census estimates show is losing population for the first time ever as boomers lose interest in retiring to far-flung places.
10. FIFTH FAILURE FOR CUBA SWIM
Australian endurance athlete Chloe McCardel lasted 11 hours in the Cuba to Florida swim before being undone by jellyfish stings.