Charges likely to be filed Wednesday against Castro brothers in Cleveland kidnapping case
5:37 AM, May 8, 2013
1:34 PM, May 8, 2013
CLEVELAND - Charges are likely Wednesday against the three men accused of holding Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight captive for years.
As authorities continued investigating, more details trickled out about what the women, who managed to escape Monday, endured throughout their captivity. Chief Michael McGrath of the Cleveland police, told the "Today" show Wednesday that the women had been tied up inside the house and that investigators found ropes and chains .
A judge has given Cleveland police extra time to file charges against the men.
McGrath, asked about the reports that the women were physically bound, said: "We have confirmed that. We have confirmation that they were bound, and there were chains and ropes in the home."
But he said the investigators would have a better understanding of how often they were restrained when the interviews were completed Wednesday. He also said they were "very rarely" allowed outside, or "released out in the backyard once in a while, I believe."
It is protocol for the Cleveland Division of Police and the Cleveland Municipal Court to file charges within 36 hours. On Tuesday, Cleveland police said Administrative Judge Ronald B. Adrine extended the charging period to 48 hours. That's within the federal mandate. On Monday, Berry, who disappeared after working at Burger King in 2003, escaped from a house on Seymour Avenue in Cleveland. Police then found DeJesus, missing since 2004, and Knight, missing since 2002, inside the house.
The conditions in the home, a law enforcement official said, were "abysmal at best."
Cleveland police arrested Ariel, Pedro and Oneil Castro Monday night in the kidnapping.
The Cleveland joint information center said they performed an extensive search of the call intake system and found two calls to Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue house.
One call involved Castro's job with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. According to police, officer investigated the possibility of Castro leaving a child on a school bus, but never entered his home. No charges were filed.
The other call was Castro reporting a fight in the street.