Shutdown in Jacksonville airport after bomb hoax

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Stranded and tired passengers played the waiting game at the Jacksonville International Airport.

"I had to call the hotel and book a reservation tonight and stay one more night," one traveler said.
The airport was shut down for more than five hours Tuesday evening, flights were re-routed and planes stuck on the tarmac after 39-year-old Zeljko Causevic approached security screeners.

"The suspect stated 'I came to the security guard and said I got a bomb in here.' The subject further explained that inside his camouflage backpack he had a device which he said was supposed to be a bomb but it's not," airport spokesman Michael Stewart said.

Instead, authorities say the backpack contained a small luggage scale, two batteries and a microchip.

So far, there's no word on a possible motive.

Causevic appeared in court Wednesday on charges of making a hoax bomb and making a false report about planting a bomb or explosive.  

Another man who was reportedly acting suspicious was also taken into custody.

Officials now say the two men are not connected. 

Print this article Back to Top