A mother and her three young sons are okay after they woke up to their home on fire in Merriam, Kan.
A mother and her three young boys are OK after they woke up inside their burning home.
MERRIAM, Kan. - Smoke-detectors alerted a mother and her three young boys of their burning home early Monday morning.
The family was sleeping in their home near Woodward Street and Johnson Drive, in Merriam, Kan., when the house began to fill with smoke.
Firefighters said the mother was able to get the children, who range from 2 to 7 years old, out of the home safely, but one member of the family was trapped inside.
"The family dog, a black lab, was still inside, so fire fighters made entry and pulled the dog out," Fire Chief Bob Pape said.
EMS gave the dog oxygen, and the dog is expected to be ok.
Pape said the initial investigation revealed the fire started in a back sunroom where the family had left a container full of ashes from a recent fireplace fire.