A 7-year-old boy is credited for saving two adults from a burning home in KCK early Thursday.
A 7-year-old boy is being credited for saving two adults from a burning home in KCK.
6-year-old credited for saving family from house fire.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - A 7-year-old boy is credited for saving a family from a house fire early Thursday morning.
It happened just before 4 a.m. Thursday near South 42nd and Douglas St. in Kansas City, Kan.
Fire Department PIO Deputy Chief Craig Duke told 41 Action News the family was alerted after the 7-year-old, who was asleep on the couch, smelled smoke.
The family was babysitting the boy while his mother, a family friend, was in the hospital having surgery.
Duke said the family has a smoke detection system through ADT; however, they were not alerted by the system.
The family was able to evacuate and run to a neighbor's house to call 911.
The father of the family returned to the home to try and save one of the family's dogs. However; he was overcome with smoke and had to leave. One of the dogs died.
Several pumpers were called to the scene as the fire quickly spread. It took 30 minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control. The house is a total loss.
Four of the family's children were not home of the time of the fire. Red Cross has been called to assist the family.
Firefighters believe a space heater caught fire.