Father thankful his family escaped fire that destroyed their home and business

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A metro family lost their home and business in a fire Thursday, but is giving thanks they survived the blaze.

"That is a blessing, and that is the main thing," said homeowner Luther Walker. "We have our lives and our health and we got our dog."

He and his wife run a small concrete and construction business from their home. He's not sure what effect this fire will have on the couple's ability to continue work.

The fire started around 9:45 a.m. at the Walker home in the 3400 block of Delavan in Kansas City, Kan., just off of I-635.

Walker said that even though his home-based concrete business was destroyed along with the 100-plus-year-old house, he's thankful he and his family are alive.

Also inside the home were Walker's wife, their teenage daughter, a son home from school at Kansas State University and the family dog, Brownie.

Nobody was injured.

KCK Fire Chief Craig Duke said an electrical issue is believed to have caused the fire. He said the family reported the lights had been flickering lately in the home when the wind blew.

"He did indicate they were doing some electrical work. They had some electrical issues: flickering lights and some other issues," Duke said. "They had an electrician out trying to find what the issue was."

Wind played a factor in fire crews' strategies. 

"Our crews got inside and as they got inside, the fire started pushing them back, the wind picked up," he explained.

Because of the swift wind and age of the building, firefighters had to fight the blaze from outside of the building's perimeter.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments