A matter of minutes may have made the difference in rescuing an Overland Park family recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning.
Four people are in the hospital after an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning, including two children and a teenager.
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - Four people are in the hospital after an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday morning, including two adults and two children.
It happened at a home near 121st Terrace and Hardy around 7:30 a.m. Police said a passerby noticed a sick 16-year-old boy in the front lawn and alerted police.
When authorities arrived, they found a car running in a closed garage. They believe it was accidently left running since Tuesday night.
According to a news release, the fire department said the carbon monoxide levels were 40 times higher than the safe exposure levels.
The teenager, along with two women and a 9-year-old were transported to the hospital. Two had critical injuries and two had serious injuries; all are said to be in stable condition.
Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dull headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. You might also have shortness of breath, blurred vision and a loss of consciousness.
If you suspect you've been exposed to carbon monoxide, get into fresh air immediately and seek medical care. If possible, open windows and doors on the way out of the house.
For more information on how to spot and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the Center for Disease Control's website here: http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm