3-year-old rescued from Independence house fire

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Independence firefighters rescued a 3-year-old child from a burning house Monday morning.

The child was trapped in a bedroom by heavy smoke when crews arrived at the house near South 44th and Osage streets.

Firefighters rushed inside and carried the child to safety, fire officials told 41 Action News.

The child did not appear injured, but was taken to a hospital as a precaution. A second child that was inside the home was also taken to the hospital.

Smoke detectors woke the child's mother, who was sleeping in another bedroom with two other children.

They were able to get out, but were unable to get back to the child because of the thick smoke, a fire official said.

The fire cause is listed as accidental. It is believed to have started in a dryer.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments