Fireworks named the cause of a Lee's Summit, MO duplex fire

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. - Fireworks started a fire that damaged a Lee’s Summit duplex and displaced ten people.

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in a duplex at 800 NE Banner Drive at 9:45 p.m. Friday. The caller reported fireworks hit the side of the duplex and the deck was on fire, according to the press release.

The majority of the fire was on the deck and back of unit B. Firefighters were able to control the fire on the back of the building. They searched the entire building and confirmed everyone was outside.

The fire was under control by 10:26 p.m.

According to fire investigators, the fire was caused by the improper use of fireworks by the occupants. The fireworks were too close to the house, and hit and ignited mattresses and upholstered furniture stored under the deck.

Tenants returned Saturday afternoon to "Do Not Occupy" signs. They are trying to salvage what they can from the home.

One side of the duplex suffered primarily smoke damage while the other side has to be reconstructed.

The Red Cross is providing assistance to the ten people displaced by the fire. 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments