Raymore apartment fire critically injures 4-month-old child
Gary Brauer , Lindsay Shively
9:35 AM, May 1, 2013
6:51 PM, May 1, 2013
RAYMORE, Mo. - A 4-month-old child suffered critical injuries in an apartment fire in Raymore Tuesday night, but the mom inside was able to get three other children out unharmed.
Fire crews were called to a four-plex in the 200 block of Skyview Drive at about 10 p.m. Tuesday.
Raymore Fire Chief Randy Adams says the curtain from an open window apparently blew a candle or lamp onto a bassinet.
The mother of two of the children was in another room, heard a noise, saw the flames and got the other children, ages 3 to 5, out of the apartment.
She suffered minor injuries to her hands and was transported to an area hospital.
A neighbor, Sarah Burks, told 41 Action News the mother is her best friend, Michelle. Burks said Michelle lives in the four-plex with her two children and was caring for two others, including the 4-month-old. She said Michelle grabbed the baby from a burning bassinet, and within minutes had escaped with three other toddlers while her neighbors also frantically escaped.
Burks said Michelle is blaming herself and trying to forget that horrible image of a burning bassinet.
"She is a hero in my eyes," Burks said. "She reached into flames from crocheted blankets to grab this 4-month-old baby."
Another neighbor agreed.
"She takes care of anybody and everybody's kids," said neighbor Jamie Rees. "If there is a parent that isn't doing what they're supposed to do as a parent, she is taking care of their kids for them."
The fire caused an estimated $150,000 to $200,000 damage.
The three other apartments - two of which are occupied - suffered smoke and water damage.
Donations are being collected for Michelle and her two sons, sizes 3T and 4T, at the Belton Assembly of God at 613 E. North Avenue in Belton, Mo.