Cellphone fire hazard: Careful where you charge

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Plugging in your cellphone for an overnight charge could create a fire hazard.

Cellphone chargers need space to breathe because they warm up and can possibly overheat while in use. Experts warn that anything flammable near the charging phone could catch fire, even if the phone isn't plugged in.

"People don't think that when they're plugged in the walls and there's nothing plugged into them, they won't draw a current, but those charges can still pull a current, which produces heat and leads to a fire," said Andi Mooneyham of the Ozark Fire Protection District.

Mooneyham also cautions users to make sure not to overcharge their cellphone battery, which can also lead to overheating and a possible fire.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments