Kan. lottery winners accidentally blow up house

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Authorities say two brothers accidentally blew up their house after celebrating a $75,000 winning lottery ticket by purchasing marijuana and meth.

Wichita police Sergeant Bruce Watts says one of the brothers was taken to a hospital and the other to jail after Friday's explosion. The Wichita Eagle reports that the injured 27-year-old brother is in serious but stable condition with second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest.

Watts says the explosion happened after one of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they planned to use to light their bongs. The brother emptied a couple large cans of butane lighter fluid, leaking butane into the air.

"And as you can expect, kaboom," Watts said.

Eventually, butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, causing the blast.

One of the brothers was booked into jail on drug charges. The other, who was wearing a brand new "Kansas Lottery" t-shirt, was taken to an area hospital in serious but stable condition.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments