2 US marshals, 1 St. Louis police officer shot during shootout

ST. LOUIS - The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington says a deputy marshal shot in the head during a St. Louis gun battle has died of his wounds at a hospital.

The agency says Deputy U.S. Marshal John Perry died of gunshot wounds at 7 p.m. at Saint Louis University Hospital. The 48-year-old Perry had been with the U.S. Marshals for almost 10 years.

Authorities say the suspect, Carlos Boles (bolz), shot Perry and two other law enforcement officers as they were trying to arrest Boles on charges of assaulting a law enforcement officer and drug possession.

Boles was killed in the exchange. The other two law enforcement officers survived.

Talking to reporters outside the house, Sannita Vaughan said her brother was the dead suspect who had been holed up inside.

"All we know is, they killed him," Vaughan said as relatives tried to shield her from the media crush.

The two U.S. marshals and a police officer had been serving an arrest warrant at the house on the city's south side when a gunfight broke out, according to Jeff Carter, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service.

A St. Louis police officer was hit in his bullet-proof vest and suffered a graze wound and injuries from a fall, according to a recorded statement on the city police media hotline. It said he was taken to the Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

Earlier Tuesday, city police spokeswoman Schron Jackson said police were involved in a standoff at the property, but she had no more information.

Police cordoned off several blocks on every side of the house with police tape in the neighborhood in a poorer section of the city's south side. They blocked access to the property with police cars and vans.

Television video footage from KTVI in St. Louis showed one marshal being carried down an alley by several officers and being put into an ambulance.

Earlier Tuesday, Vaughan told reporters that her brother was inside the house and had been shot by police. She looked into television cameras and implored the brother to come out and surrender.

As police began to disband, bystanders appeared inflamed and began shouting obscenities at police. One officer with a police dog tried to quell the tempers.


Print this article Back to Top