MANILA, Philippines (AP) - A top Philippine civil defense official says the death toll from last week's Typhoon Haiyan has risen to 3,621.
That's a jump of more than 1,200 from the previous toll of 2,360 that was announced earlier Friday by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
Its executive director, Eduardo del Rosario, told reporters that the "latest death toll" from all the provinces hit by the typhoon is 3,621. He did not give details. An official at the agency later said its website will be updated with the latest toll later Friday.
The new figure has surpassed the estimated 2,500 deaths that President Benigno Aquino III had predicted earlier this week.