Royals and Red Sox game postponed as Boston bomb suspect search continues

The game Friday night at Fenway Park with the Red Sox and Royals has been postponed as a manhunt continues for one of the suspects in the terror attack at the Boston Marathon.

No makeup date has been determined yet.

"The streets and bridges that should be packed with morning commuters are dead empty and there is no foot traffic outside," Mike Swanson, Vice President of Communications and Broadcast said Friday before the announcement was made. "Right now it's a little disconcerting every time a siren goes off but that's kind of what the feeling is right now in Boston, is a large military and police presence and no other presence of anybody else."

The team arrived Wednesday for their three-game series.

Their hotel was locked down Friday as authorities searched the city, according to a post on Royals.com.

"We're just there to play a baseball game and it'll be great when we get back out on the field whether its tonight tomorrow or Sunday," Swanson said. "Right now, real life taking place right before our eyes and we got to let that get handled first."

Red Sox players and other team employees were told to stay home, a club official said.

"Employees have been told to stay home following the lead of the city officials," Red Sox chief operating officer Sam Kennedy said.

The Red Sox had finished their game against the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday about 45 minutes before the explosions occurred about a mile away from Fenway. They boarded a plane to Cleveland after their 3-2 victory for a three-game series against the Indians. Boston completed a sweep of the series on Thursday night then returned for a 10-game homestand.

The night game between the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins also was postponed after the NHL teams canceled their morning skates.

The bombings on Monday killed three people and wounded more than 180. Police identified two suspects. One was killed during a shootout with police and the other was being sought during a massive manhunt across the city and surrounding areas.

The Bruins also announced that the sale of playoff tickets, scheduled to start at 11 a.m. on Friday, has been postponed until 11 a.m. on Monday.

The New England Patriots postponed for the second time a news conference with director of player personnel Nick Caserio about next week's NFL draft. The news conference originally had been scheduled for Tuesday but was postponed after the bombings. It has been rescheduled for Monday.

The bombings already have resulted in two major pro sports games in Boston getting scratched -- the Bruins against the Ottawa Senators last Monday night and the Indiana Pacers against the Celtics on Tuesday night. The Bruins game was rescheduled for April 28. The Celtics game was canceled outright, and the NBA's regular season ended on Wednesday.

The Celtics are scheduled to begin the first round of the playoffs Saturday in New York against the Knicks.

The Bruins resumed play on Wednesday night at home against the Buffalo Sabres. Before the game, there was a moment of silence, a slideshow of marathon scenes on the video scoreboard above center ice and a stirring rendition of the national anthem, which was started by long-time Bruins vocalist Rene Rancourt. He sang a few lines then gestured for the fans to join in -- which they did.

"We are trying to put on a show for the fans and, hopefully, give them some sort of escape," Buffalo's Drew Stafford said after the game. "With everything that happened, emotions were extremely high tonight. I am sure that there were not a lot of dry eyes in the stands during the anthem."

After the game, players gathered at center ice and raised their sticks in a salute to the fans who had chanted "U.S.A." and "We are Boston."

Print this article Back to Top

Comments