The Big 12's men's basketball awards were announced Sunday. Kansas head basketball coach Bill Self won a share of the coach of the year award and Kansas player Thomas Robinson took home the player of the year award.
Self will share the award with Iowa State coach Fred Hoiburg, who coached his surprising Cyclone team to a 22-9 regular season record and the third seed in the Big 12 Tournament.
Robinson was the only player in the Big 12 conference to average a double-double (18.0 ppg, 11.9 rpg) and his 22 double-doubles are fourth on the conference's single-season list.
Robinson becomes the seventh Kansas player to win Big 12 player of the year.
Other notable local players who were honored by the Big 12 include:
- Jeff Withey, Kansas center- Defensive Player of the Year
- Michael Dixon, Missouri guard - Sixth Man Award (Dixon attended Lee's Summit West)
The official All-Big 12 awards are selected by the league's head coaches, who are not allowed to vote for their own players.
Here is a list of the other awards, including the first, including the Big 12 First Team.
- Player of the Year: - Thomas Robinson, Kansas, F, Jr., 6-10, 237, Washington, D.C./Brewster Academy [N.H.]
- Defensive Player of the Year: Jeff Withey, Kansas, C, Jr., 7-0, 235, San Diego, Calif./Horizon
- Newcomer of the Year: Royce White, Iowa State, F, So., 6-8, 270, Minneapolis, Minn./Hopkins/Minnesota
- Co-Freshman of the Year: Quincy Miller, Baylor, F, Fr., 6-9, 210, High Point, N.C./Westchester Country Day School and Le'Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State, G/F, Fr., 6-7, 230, Dallas, Texas/Lincoln
- Sixth Man Award: Michael Dixon, Missouri, G, Jr., 6-1, 185, Kansas City, Mo./Lee's Summit West
- Co-Coaches of the Year: Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State [Career and at ISU: 38-25, 2nd season] Bill Self, Kansas [Career: 470-156, 19th season; At KU: 263-51, 9th season]
Big 12 First Team:
Royce White, forward, Iowa state
Thomas Robinson, forward, Kansas
Tyshawn Taylor, guard, Kansas
Marcus Denmon, guard, Missouri
J'Covan Brown, guard, Texas
To see a complete list of those honored, including the Big 12's Second and Third teams, go to http://bit.ly/yFJ9rT .