JOHNSON COUNTY, Kan. - A major Johnson County road will be closed off to drivers during the weekend of June 20-23 for resurfacing and repairs.
Drivers should expect delays and must use alternate routes during the roadway and ramp closures.
Beginning at 7 p.m. Friday, June 20 through 6 a.m. Monday, June 23, eastbound and westbound U.S. 56 from just east of I-35 at Eby Avenue to Antioch Road will be fully closed to all traffic for pavement repair work. The U.S. 56 intersections at Eby Avenue, Slater Street, Antioch Road and Terrydale Street; the northbound I-35 to U.S. 56 exit ramp and the Carter Avenue to eastbound Shawnee Mission Parkway ramp will be Closed during the weekend long closure as well.
The weekend-long closure will impact all businesses along U.S. 56 between Eby Avenue and Antioch Road.
Access to these businesses will be available via the side streets located north and south of U.S. 56. Access will be maintained to local businesses throughout the project duration.
Businesses like the Krispy Kreme along Shawnee Mission Pkwy are anticipating less than half of their regular weekend customers.
"People view Krispy Kreme as more of a special treat, it's not setting that is a necessity such as you know going to the grocery store to get milk or bread or something like that so it's something that you know people may not be as willing to go out of their way to come and get so it could have a big impact on us," store manager Malanie Loonsfoot said.
Marked detours will be provided as noted below during the weekend long closure.
- Eastbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via southbound I-35 to 75th Street then east to Metcalf Avenue then north on Metcalf Avenue back to eastbound U.S. 56.
- Westbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via Metcalf Avenue north to Johnson Drive west to southbound I-35 back to westbound U.S.56.
- Southbound I-35 to eastbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via 75th Street east to Metcalf Avenue north back to eastbound U.S. 56.
- Southbound I-35 to westbound U.S. 56 traffic: no marked detour needed.
- Northbound I-35 to eastbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via Johnson Drive east to Metcalf Avenue south to U.S. 56.
- Northbound I-35 to westbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via Johnson Drive west to southbound I-35 to back to westbound U.S. 56.
- Roe Avenue to eastbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour west on Johnson Drive then south on Roeland Road back to eastbound U.S. 56.