HazMat incident in downtown KCMO

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Police were called to a report of a hazmat incident at 712 Broadway in downtown Kansas City, Mo., Tuesday evening.

Authorities say a contractor working to install Google Fiber lines hit an underground chlorine storage unit to a hot tub where chlorine and other chemicals are stored.

A Google Fiber spokeswoman said contractors working on a sidewalk adjacent to a building caused a portion of the sidewalk to break apart, falling on top of pool cleaning supplies in a basement room of the building, which caused the leak.

The building was evacuated and officers shut down Broadway from 6th St. to 9th St.

Kansas City Fire Department crews removed four to five buckets of chlorine and fans were brought in to air out the building.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments