Kansas City mayor's son charged in assault at bar

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The son of Kansas City Mayor Sly James turned himself in Monday night on a municipal assault charge stemming from an incident last week at a Kansas City bar.

Kansas City police spokeswoman Stacey Graves says Kyle James was charged with a municipal charge of assault and posted bond Monday night shortly after turning himself in.

Tuesday a Municipal Court official said the court would bring in a special prosecutor to handle the case to avoid any conflict of interest because it involves the mayor's son.

According to a police report, Kyle James was at The Point Bar & Grill, 917 W. 44th St., just south of Westport, in the early-morning hours of Aug. 25, when a woman began fighting with a woman he was dancing with.

RELATED | Read the police report at http://bit.ly/qp9Epx

The fight moved outside, the report said, and a third woman tried to pull the woman James had been dancing with out of the fight.

That's when James, according to the report, grabbed the third woman by the left arm and "struck her in the right eye with his hand or fist."

The report states members of the Kansas City Police Department arrived and the crowd dispersed.

The victim, according to the investigating officer's statements in the police report, showed a "dark bruise approx. 4-5 inches long on the underside of her upper left arm" and "bruising under the victim's right eye."

The 22-year-old victim, when she reported the incident to police around 8 p.m. the next night, told police she was given a ride to the Plaza by James' friend, a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. She was then given a ride home by friends.

Kyle James hung up when we reached him by phone, but told the newspaper that the woman was the one throwing punches, and that he may have shoved her while trying to keep her away.

Last month, James was named in a police report filed at a Kansas City Power & Light diner as being "disruptive." While police were called to that incident, no charges were filed.

"My son is a 22-year-old young man who made a mistake," Mayor Sly James said in early August after word of the incident got out. "He is extremely embarrassed and very sorry for the entire incident." James turned 23 on Aug. 24.

The mayor has not commented on the Westport incident or the municipal charge against his son, but a statement was released through his office Tuesday morning..

Danny Rotert, Communications Director for Mayor James, issued the following statement: "To ensure that both Kyle and his accuser get a fair day in municipal court, the Mayor will not have any comments on the matter now pending. Thank you for your understanding in what is a difficult time for all involved."

James is due in court for the municipal charge on Oct. 17.

Print this article Back to Top