Youth soccer coach faces federal charges for videotaping nude underage girls

Police: Coach admitted to inapproprate touching

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. - A local youth soccer coach has been charged with secretly recording several minors while nude, including those he coached, in his Lee's Summit home. Police said he also admitted to inappropriate touching.

Joel D. White, 41, faces federal charges of attempted production of child pornography, according to a criminal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Mo.

White was arrested in Commerce City, Colo., in March for theft after attending the World Cup qualifying game as a reporter and stealing jerseys and memorabilia, according to court documents.

When White was taken into custody, he was in possession of several cameras and digital memory cards. Police requested his videos, and White consented.

Upon inspection, authorities found images and videos of nude underage girls, according to the complaint.

RELATED | Lee's Summit soccer coach charged with taping girls has history of peeping

Detectives said the videos show White hiding a camera in his bedroom and then leaving the room. In each case, girls between the ages of 12 and 13 entered the room shortly after and changed clothing.

At the end of each taping, White was allegedly seen re-entering the room and retrieving the videos.

Authorities said none of the victims, who were completely nude, appeared to know they were being videotaped.

Police obtained a warrant on April 22 and searched White's home in the 1700 block of SE 7th Terrace in Lee's Summit.

White allegedly admitted to police that he videotaped nude minors without their consent 10 to 15 times between May and October of 2012. He also admitted to inappropriately touching a girl between the ages of 11 or 12 while she was asleep at his house, and videotaped himself doing so.

Parents of at least two of the alleged victims said their daughters were on White's soccer team and had either been to his house or traveled with him in the past.

White, who coaches a girls under-12 soccer team and a girls under-15 soccer team through the Lee's Summit Soccer Associaton, remains in federal custody pending a detention hearing.

He could face between 15 to 30 years in prison.

The LSSA released the following statement Tuesday afternoon:

"The Lee's Summit Soccer Association is aware of the on-going investigation of a Lee's Summit soccer Coach. Our organization is cooperating with the Lee's Summit Police Department's investigators. For additional information please contact the Lee's Summit Police Department."

We'll have more on this story on 41 Action News and Refresh this page for updates.

Print this article Back to Top