Snow is over, but now there will be dangerous wind chills

Blizzard Warning effective through noon Wednesday

KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The snowfall has passed through Kansas City as the storm heads east, but NBC Action Weather Meteorologist Gary Lezak says we're not out of the woods just yet.

Gary says the worst of the storm arrived to Kansas City Tuesday evening when the sun set and the wind picked up, saying the blowing snow and lack of sunlight produced the most dangerous conditions we've seen all day, including zero visibility at points overnight. A blizzard warning remained in effect through noon Wednesday.

Frigid temperatures are now the thing we have to look out for, with wind chills in the negative teens Wednesday morning and expected to drop even lower by 7 a.m. Thursday, temperatures - not wind chills - were expected to drop to 10 below.

The heavy snow peaked at nearly 2.5 inches per hour. At that rate, it was all but impossible for road crews to keep up with the snowfall.

The snow ended late Tuesday, but not before it dumped nearly nine inches at Kansas City International Airport and anywhere from nine inches to a foot through the metro.

RELATED | Road condition updates from staff & viewers

MoDOT and KDOTcontinued Wednesday to report completely snow-covered roadways across most of the states.

Tuesday afternoon Kansas City Power &  Light reported about 1,400 power outages in and around Sedalia and Warrensburg and various other intermittent power outages.

Departments of transportation on both sides of the state line are discouraging travel. Interstate 70 closed about 4p.m . from Blue Springs all the way to St. Louis.

Kansas City International Airport, which had experienced hundreds of cancellations throughout the day, closed from about 4 p.m. until 8p.m. because snow removal crews could no longer see to get the runways clear.

The governors of both Kansas and Missouri signed orders declaring states of emergency as they worked to prepare for the storm.

Children on both sides of the state line knew long before they woke up Tuesday they wouldn’t be heading to school as most districts called off class Monday afternoon or evening.

Print this article Back to Top