Stepmother of tortured KCK boy: 'pain compliance does not work'

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Heather Jones, who abused and murdered her 7-year-old stepson Adrian Jones, talked on a private Facebook group about restraining the child with handcuffs, ace bandages and splints, according to search warrants and affidavits released Monday.

The documents provide additional details in the timeline of abuse Adrian suffered at the hands of Heather Jones and his father, Michael Jones.  The Joneses abused Adrian over several months, killing him, and fed his remains to pigs.

Adrian's remains were found in November 2015 on the family's Kansas City, Kansas, rental property. Police were responding to a report that Michael had tried to shoot Heather when they found the remains.

Officers arrested Michael, and one affidavit says during a police interview he told officers he and Heather “got rid of his body by feeding him to the pigs.”

Michael Jones pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was sentenced earlier this month to life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 25 years. Heather Jones pleaded guilty to the same crime and got the same sentence in November.

One warrant released Monday shows Heather Jones also made a reference to having "no problems" with having the boy "look at flowers" in the months before he was killed in September or October of 2015. The quote was a reference to the TV show "The Walking Dead" in which a woman fatally shoots a troubled child after telling her to "look at the flowers."

Heather also described Adrian as a "psychopath," saying he chased her with a kitchen knife, dumped her baby out of a bassinet and "kills everything he comes in contact with." She said "pain compliance does not work," talked about using "leather belts" and said Adrian "has to be restrained 95% of the time." She posted that she "can't shoot him unfortunately" but that she can make him work "til I feel better??" She also said in a cryptic, partially redacted December 2014 post that she was scared to look at her phone because she was "afraid I might be the next" and "have to feed some pigs a body!!!"

At least one of the people who responded to Heather Jones's Facebook posts appeared to think she was exaggerating, saying "god bless u for taking him in!!!"

The newly released records show that messages Heather and Michael Jones exchanged on Facebook included photos of Adrian strapped to an inversion table and naked in a shower with a mouth injury that Heather Jones said came from trying to remove the shower door. The Jones also exchanged photos of other restraint methods they were considering using, including a straitjacket, a restraint bed and a "fully body enclosure," the records show.

One affidavit says police searched Michael’s phone and found dozens of photos and videos documenting Adrian’s abuse. As 41 Action News has previously reported, Adrian was often made to stand for long periods of time with his hands in the air. According to records released Monday, Heather told police that was done “to prevent him from touching or harming himself.”

One document describes part of a police interview with Heather Jones:

While showing Heather a photo of Adrian, Detective Bundy asked her why she hated this little boy. Heather began crying, she pointed at Adrian's picture and stated "that boy is the reason I lost my son." Heather explained that Adrian had lied to DCF (Kansas Department for Children and Families) during a 2011 investigation and as a result, her biological son was taken away from her.

Documents say shortly before Adrian died, Michael and Heather talked about taking him to a hospital. They didn’t, it says, because they did not want to be arrested for child abuse.

Adrian's maternal grandmother, Judy Conway, said earlier this month that the Joneses kept Adrian naked in a shower stall and modified it so he couldn't get out. She said that "the system has failed Adrian."

Welfare officials in Kansas and Missouri had involvement with the family. Records released earlier this month show that Adrian Jones was 5 years old in July 2013 when he told a Missouri Children's Division worker and police officer that a "little bone come out" when his father kicked him in the head. The records show that Missouri welfare officials said in 2013 that they didn't think they could ensure Adrian's safety at home, but that a county juvenile officer suggested the family be provided more services. The family then moved to Kansas.

Similar records remain under seal in Kansas, where welfare officials have said each reported incident of alleged abuse or neglect involving Adrian was "thoroughly investigated." No details have been provided about the number of cases or their context.


Surveillance footage captures last days of tortured KCK boy's life

Grandmother of tortured KCK boy wants records unsealed, seeks truth about his death

Surveillance video shows relative lived in home during tortured KCK boy's abuse

Documents: Tortured KCK boy told social workers & deputies dad was beating him

Former social worker says agency failed Adrian Jones

KCK boy's slaying prompts call for new rules on reporting abuse

Print this article Back to Top