KANSAS CITY, MO — Ugly Mug Cakes are a little Irish treat that you can easily make in the comforts of your own kitchen. The Pantry KC’s Co-Owner Deepal Patel joins us with the recipe.
UGLY MUG CAKES:
Start by preparing these individual components:
Whiskey Pastry Cream
Chocolate Whipped Cream
Make your favorite boxed cake for a shortcut. Bake the batter in a large sheet or lasagna pan. It doesn’t need to be pretty.
Whiskey Pastry Cream:
· 2 Cups of Milk
· 6 Tbsp Sugar
· Pinch of Salt
· 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
· 3 Large Egg Yolks
· 2 1/2 tbsp Corn Starch
· 3 Tbsp Butter
· 1/2 Cup of Irish WhiskEy
· Combine Milk, Sugar, Salt and Vanilla in a heavy bottom pot and bring to a boil.
· Whisk the yolks and corn starch together in a large bowl.
· Temper the eggs with with dairy and return the mixture to the stove.
· Cook the custard until reached full thickness and remove from the heat.
· Whisk in the Irish Whiskey and allow to cool.
· Transfer into a pastry bag after its cooled.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
· 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
· 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (dutched)
· 2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
· Combine all the ingredients and whisk by hand or mixer until stiff peaks form.
· Transfer into a pastry bag with your favorite star tip.
Choose a selection of sprinkles to match your theme. Vary sizes and shapes!
A squeeze bottle of Hershey’s or any other brand of chocolate sauce you like.
To assemble the Irish Whiskey Ugly Mug Cakes in glasses:
Drizzle the chocolate sauce around the edge and bottom of the glass.
Start by alternating layers of cake and pastry cream in the glass. Try to get at lease 2 layers of each so do not make them
too thick and leave about a half inch of room at the top of the glass.
To top the layers with chocolate whipped cream slowly pipe the cream in circles like frosting on a cupcake.
Finish the dessert with fun sprinkles and an extra drizzle of chocolate sauce.
At The Pantry KC we add an extra kick with a pipet of whiskey sauce.