Over 140 restaurants are participating in 2019’s Restaurant Week. One of those restaurants is Summit Hickory Pit BBQ. Allen Birchfield, Owner, joins us to discuss the event, and to whip up some of their delicious Burnt End Chili.
Burnt End Chili
- 16 oz. burnt ends
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 16-oz. can kidney beans
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 c. BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. cajun spice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, dice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 8-oz bag sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bundle chopped green onions
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook onion until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, diced green pepper and jalapeño and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes longer.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, ground pepper, cumin, cajun spice, kosher salt, and cook, stirring for 1 minute longer.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring, until cooked through and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and canned tomatoes, warmed burnt ends stirring to combine.
- Increase heat to a simmer and let cook, 25 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with cheddar cheese and green onions.
- What steps do you plan to complete during the live segment?
- Brown hamburger on stovetop
- Cutting up pre-smoked burnt ends
- All ingredients mixed into pot to cook