Patrons of Brio Tuscan Grille on Plaza report illnesses

Patrons of Brio Tuscan Grille on Plaza report illnesses
Posted at 8:43 PM, May 18, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-18 21:43:01-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A spokesperson for the Brio Tuscan Grille confirmed that they are aware of a couple patrons who reported getting sick after dining at the restaurant. 

The Kansas City Health Department inspected the restaurant after a complaint and found three critical violations.

The spokesperson also said that at no point did Health Department officials ask the restaurant to close. 

According to Health Department records, an inspector observed an employee stir sauce with a wire whisk and then tap the wire whisk on the inside of a trash can before putting back inside the container holding other utensils still being used. The inspector also observed an employee drop a pair of tongs being used for cooking and place them in a sanitizer bucket. The inspector informed the employee that tongs must be washed, rinsed and sanitized before being used again. Both issues were corrected.

The dishwasher was not sanitizing dishes at the recommended 160 degrees and that was also corrected.

None of the five employees on site had current food handler cards.