KANSAS CITY, Mo. - For about 23 million students nation-wide, the school day starts and ends with a bus trip. But the greatest risk to students is approaching and leaving the bus.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers the following tips to keep children safe at the bus stop.
- Wait until the bus driver says it is safe to board.
- Once you are on the bus, go directly to your seat. Stay in your seat and face forward when the bus is moving
- Tell children to use hand rails when they get on and off the school bus.
- When getting off the bus, take five giant steps from the front of the bus. When the driver indicates that it is safe, stop at the edge of the bus, look left and right, look left again and then cross.
- Ask the driver for help if you drop something.