Executive chef at Ophelia’s Restaurant and Inn, Robert Sterns shows us how to make fried green tomatoes.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3-4 medium sized green tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups seasoned A/P flour
- 6 eggs-whisked until completely mixed
- 1 gallon vegetable oil for frying
Tomato Smoked Pablano Marmalade
- 6 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tbs minced shallots
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 poblano peppers smoked & diced
- 1 sliced fresh jalepeno
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
Take sliced green tomatoes and dredge in seasoned flour. Add to egg mixture & then into panko breadcrumbs & corn meal. Mix. Set aside. Heat oil in large stock pot, heat to 325 degrees.
In large saucepan combine grape tomatoes, pablano peppers, garlic, shallots, seasoning, brown sugar & chicken stock. Cook on medium heat until reduced by half. Remove & cool. Drop tomatoes in vegetable oil until golden brown & top with 1 teaspoon marmalade. Add Bibb lettuce & bacon.