You don’t have to go to Key West to get a delicious key lime creation. Executive pastry chef, Victoria Swanson, from Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City shows us how to make their Key Lime Tart.
Key Lime Tart Filling
- 6 oz. key lime juice
- 1 lb. 3 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 ½ cups graham crackers, crushed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional, but tasty)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place graham crackers in food processor and pulse until fine crumb.
- Add sugar, melted butter and cinnamon to graham crumb and pulse until combined.
- Spray pie tin with pan spray and press graham crumb into bottom and sides of tin. Set aside until needed.
- Mix lime juice and condensed milk in medium sized bowl until combined. Add yolks and stir until blended.
- Pour lime mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until center of pie has set, there may be a slight wiggle to the pie.
- Chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, best if overnight.
- When ready to serve, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in mixing bowl with whip attachment and mix on low speed until just thick.
- Increase speed to medium high and whip until peaks hold, do not whip to stiff, you should still be able to move a spoon through the cream.
- Dollop the cream on top of the chilled pie. Serve chilled.