KANSAS CITY, MO. — More than 150 restaurants around the metro are coming together for a good cause. We preview KC Restaurant Week with a trip to Scandinavia! Katee Mclean, executive chef and owner of Krokstrom, shows us how to make some delicious Apple Dijon Mussels.
Apple Dijon Mussels
1/4 c. yellow onion, thinly shaved
1/4 c. fennel bulb, thinly shaved
1/4 c. green tart apple, thinly shaved
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
15-18 1/4# P.E.I. mussels
6 baby potatoes, quartered
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. apple juice
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Wash remove beards from mussels and store on a draining ice pack.
- Cook quartered baby potatoes until tender.
- In a heavy-bottom pan with a tight-fitting lid, add oil, fennel, onion and apple and sweat on medium heat until tender.
- Add mussels carefully to not break shells.
- Add apple juice and cream. Add potatoes over top.
- Swirl once with a spoon and place the lid, allowing the mussels to steam open. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Once mussels are open, remove them with a slotted spoon into a serving bowl.
- Add the Dijon mustard to the pan and return to a simmer.
- Taste the broth to check if you need to add more apple juice and/or cream.
- Pour the broth over the mussels and serve with a pumpernickel baguette.