Ardie Davis, PhB (professor of barbecue) started it all. He founded the American Royal World Series of Barbecue, which runs Oct. 1-4. Davis showed Joel Nichols how it's done!
WATCH: See how to whip up your own batch in the video player above!
Easy All-Purpose KC-Style Barbecue Sauce recipe
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Combine the ingredients in a non-reactive pan.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Adjust and/or add seasonings to suit your taste.
- Brush lightly on barbecue meat or serve on the side as a dipping sauce.
(Note: You can skip all the work and do what many competition teams do--doctor up one of your favorite commercially available sauces).