The International Coffee Organization sets a number of dates for countries to celebrate "National Coffee Day." Sept. 29 is the designated date for the U.S., Japan, South Africa and a number of other nations.
You can score free coffee at a number of national chains, including:
- Dunkin' Donuts
- Krispy Kreme
- LaMar's Donuts
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea
A Cup on the Hill (730 Minnesota Ave. in KCK) is offering a free 12 oz coffee today until 11:30 a.m.
PLUS Thursday is International Coffee Day and they'll offer a free doughnut with any large coffee purchase. Friday is "Firehouse Friday" from 8-10 am. They do this every week to build community; offering free coffee and baked treats for those two hours.
Know any other Kansas City area coffee shops offering freebies? Email us! email@example.com .
5 facts about coffee:
1. The U.S. is not number one when it comes to coffee consumption. "On a per capita coffee consumption basis, the the U.S is medium sized beverage, in a sea of extra large coffee drinking nations," says WorldAtlas.com.
2. Coffee is second only to oil as the world's most valuable commodity. (GlobalExchange.org)
3. Humans drink a lot of coffee: Annual global consumption is about 12 billion pounds. (GlobalExchange.org)
4. While there is an endless variety of coffee-based beverages, there are only two kinds of beans: Arabica and Robusta.
"Seventy percent of coffee beans are Arabica. Although less popular, Robusta is slightly more bitter and has twice as much caffeine." -- GoodHousekeeping.com
5. Coffee is a fruit. Coffee beans are actually the pits of berries that grow on bushes .
Looking for a local coffee shop near you? Check out this list from Yelp.