Community members wanting to pay their respects to Captain Robert “Dave” Melton and his family are invited to do so this weekend.
A visitation was held on Friday at the Jack Reardon Civic Center. An American flag was suspended above the entrance to the center, and members of the Patriot Guard with American flags stood in formation at the entrance.
The funeral will be held at Children’s Mercy Park on Saturday, July 23 and will start at 9 a.m. Children’s Mercy Park is the home of Sporting KC and is located at 1 Sporting Way in Kansas City, Kansas 66111. Parking for the funeral will be available at the Kansas Speedway.
41 Action News will stream the service online starting at 9 a.m. You can also watch the broadcast on air on KMCI 38 The Spot.
There will be specific seating assignments for the funeral:
- KCK Family: Sections 107 & 108
- KCK Fire: Section 106
- Outside uniformed officers: Beginning with section 105 through 101
- General seating: Sections 109 through 113
- All uniformed KCK officers and police employees will be seated on the field
- VIPs and dignitaries will sit in the team home/away seats on the field in front of sections 107
Ceremonial honors will immediately follow the service at Leavenworth National Ceremony. The cemetery is located at 150 Muncie Road in Leavenworth, Kansas 66048.
Due to limited parking at the cemetery, additional parking will be available at the Dwight D. Eisenhower Medical Center in the CPAC lot. There will be a shuttle running from the parking lot to the cemetery.
Only live cut flowers will be permitted in the cemetery at this time of year.
The funeral processional to the cemetery will begin across the street from Children’s Mercy Park at the Best Western Premier Speedway Inn & Suites on France Family Dr.
Directions for the processional and additional information can be found on the KCKPD website, here.
In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the Captain Robert D. Melton Memorial Fund.
Price Chopper will collect donations to help support Melton's family. All 52 area locations are accepting donations through July 27.
The Kansas City, Kansas Police Department will accept donations.
700 Minnesota Ave.
Kansas City, KS 66101
Attention: Chief’s Office
Please make all checks payable to: Captain Robert Melton Memorial Fund
You can make donations to the fund at The Greater KC Public Safety Credit Union at the following locations:
- Main Branch: 2800 E 14th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64127
- North Branch: 8320 North Brighton, Kansas City, Missouri 64119
- East Branch: 19341 East US 40 Highway, Independence, Missouri 64055, Suite A
- South Branch: 9701 Marion Park Drive, Kansas City, Missouri 64137
— Trooper Candice (@TroopCandiceKHP) July 20, 2016