Last year’s flu season was one of the worst on the books because of a strain of the flu known as H3N2 that had mutated. The CDC says this mutation in the strain made the flu shot less effective. This year, researchers tweaked the flu shot to combat last year's mutation.
"The flu shot this year, or the flu vaccine this year, will get it better efficacy or effective rate of helping us protect against it," said a pharmacist for Walgreen’s Jason Bleich.
MORE: Scroll down for information on free flu clinic locations!
“I'd rather take the chance on getting it because my trust is in god that it is going to make me feel better," said Kevin Taylor, who was one of many to get a free flu shot in KCK at the at Jack Reardon Convention Center.
Here in the metro area the Mid-America Immunization Coalition, along with Walgreens and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services teamed up to provide 3,000 free vaccines. They will be holding clinics throughout the metro for the next month.
Experts say you can’t predict the flu, which is why people should be prepared.
"The earlier you get immunized the more, the better ready your body's response is are when you do come across, if you come across it," said Bleich.
FREE FLU CLINICS (see Spanish language flyer below)
Mid America Immunization Coalition, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (Region VII) and Walgreens Pharmacy are offering this service: flu shots for those over the age of 7 in Kansas and 12 in Missouri.
- Thursday, Sept. 24th – 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon at Jack Reardon Civic Center, 520 Minnesota Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66101
- Monday-Friday Oct. 5th-9th – 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Mexican Consulate, 1617 Baltimore Ave, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Tuesday, Oct. 6th – 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at KCK Community College, 7250 State, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Thursday, Oct 8th – 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at KCK Community College, 7250 State, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Thursday, Oct 15th – 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Walgreens at Research Medical Center, 6420 Prospect Ave, Kansas City, MO 64132
- Thursday, Oct 22nd – 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. at St. Mark Child Development Center, 2008 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64127
- Please call (816) 283-6242 ext. 244 for more information.