KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Three people were injured, one critically, Sunday afternoon in a Shawnee house fire, according to the Shawnee Mission Fire Department.
Crews responded just after 3:15 p.m. to 6400 Charlotte Street.
The man who was critically injured lit a cigarette in his room where the fire eventually started, a spokesperson for the department said.
The man's son and grandson suffered smoke inhalation while trying to put the fire out.
All three men were transported to the University of Kansas Hospital. The son and grandson are in stable condition but the grandpa remains in critical condition.
This is a developing story and will be updated.