KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A 4-year-old child was rescued from a second-floor balcony of an apartment building that caught fire Tuesday morning in Lee's Summit.
The fire was reported around 7:29 a.m. in the 500 block of Southwest Mission Road.
According to the fire department, the two-story building had four apartment units and was visibly on fire when crews arrived.
Fire had blocked the stairs of the building and a second-floor resident had handed down a 4-year-old child from the balcony to a bystander but was trapped themselves.
Crews rescued that person and everyone else made it out safely.
The fire department said they put the fire out around 7:43 a.m.
No one was injured but the residents of the building have been displaced.
Investigators believe the fire originated near the stairs on the outside of the building but do not have a cause at this time.