KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It’s the biggest game at Arrowhead ever – and it could also be the coldest.
41 Action News Chief Meteorologist Gary Lezak is forecasting a winter storm followed by an arctic blast. The temperature at kickoff of the AFC Championship could be as low as -2 to 4 degrees.
Snow is in Saturday's forecast. We are working on our first snowfall forecast map & will share it on @41actionnews tonight. I would like to know how this 1 degree forecast for Sunday morning will impact any of your Chiefs day activities. Let me know as it may be colder! pic.twitter.com/xw39bzZKNK— Gary Lezak (@glezak) January 15, 2019
So, we wondered what are the coldest games ever played at Arrowhead?
According to Pro Football Reference, here are the top five coldest Chiefs games since the AFL-NFL merger.
- December 18, 1983 against the Denver Broncos: 0.5 degrees
- December 18, 2016 against the Tennessee Titans: 1 degree
- December 10, 1972 against the Baltimore Ravens: 7.5 degrees
- December 17, 2000 against the Denver Broncos: 9 degrees
- December 21, 2008 against the Miami Dolphins: 10 degrees
The Chiefs are 3-2 in those games. They lost in 2008 and 2016.
Sunday is the first time Arrowhead has hosted an AFC title game.