KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It’s the biggest game at Arrowhead ever – and it could also be the coldest.
41 Action News Chief Meteorologist Gary Lezak is forecasting a winter storm followed by an arctic blast. The temperature at kickoff of the AFC Championship could be as low as -2 to 4 degrees.
Snow is in Saturday's forecast. We are working on our first snowfall forecast map & will share it on @41actionnews tonight. I would like to know how this 1 degree forecast for Sunday morning will impact any of your Chiefs day activities. Let me know as it may be colder! pic.twitter.com/xw39bzZKNK— Gary Lezak (@glezak) January 15, 2019
So, we wondered what are the coldest games ever played at Arrowhead?
Pro Football Reference
, here are the top five coldest Chiefs games since the AFL-NFL merger.
- December 18, 1983 against the Denver Broncos: 0.5 degrees
- December 18, 2016 against the Tennessee Titans: 1 degree
- December 10, 1972 against the Baltimore Ravens: 7.5 degrees
- December 17, 2000 against the Denver Broncos: 9 degrees
- December 21, 2008 against the Miami Dolphins: 10 degrees
The Chiefs are 3-2 in those games. They lost in 2008 and 2016.
Sunday is the first time Arrowhead has hosted an AFC title game.