NewsLocal News


Chiefs player arrested on suspicion of domestic battery

Team released Miller on Monday
Posted at 12:08 PM, Nov 11, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-13 18:37:26-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs waived defensive tackle Roy Miller on Monday, two days after he was arrested in Florida and accused of assaulting his wife during an argument at their home.

First Coast News, an NBC affiliate in Florida reported the eight-year veteran was arrested and booked approximately 4:50 a.m. Saturday morning on a misdemeanor domestic battery charge.

According to the police report, Miller had left Nicole Miller at the Jacksonville Zoo after going there for a date Friday night. When both of them got home, Miller was gone, and an argument began when he returned. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman grabbed his wife by the hair and pushed her around, and the police report details several minor injuries.

Miller also threw her phone in a toilet and tried to keep her from calling police, the report said, before barricading himself in a bedroom with one of her sons.

Police found Miller asleep in the bedroom. He agreed to speak with an officer outside the home, and was subsequently arrested. Nicole Miller declined to provide a written statement.

The Chiefs announced Miller had been waived shortly before coach Andy Reid spoke to reporters Monday.

"I can't really comment from a legal standpoint," Reid said.

Miller appeared in court Saturday and was released on his own recognizance. He's due back Nov. 28.

Miller was picked up by the Chiefs this year. He signed a $1.4 million, one-year contract this past offseason, and was expected to help a porous run defense. But he only appeared in seven of the Chiefs' first nine games.

He was released by the Jaguars in March. He was picked up by the Jaguars after leaving the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2013.

From a football standpoint, the decision to cut Miller left the Chiefs thin across the defensive line. They have backup defensive tackles Rakeem Nunez-Roches and Jarvis Jenkins, but Reid acknowledged that general manager Brett Veach had spent the weekend considering options.

The Chiefs wound up signing Cam Thomas, who spent training camp with them, later in the day.

41 Action News has reached out to the Chiefs for comment.


The Associated Press contributed to this report.