NewsLocal News


Two taken to a hospital after strong chlorine odor at Shawnee Aquatic Center

Posted at 2:12 PM, Aug 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-11 17:59:32-04

SHAWNEE, Kan. - Two lifeguards were sent to a hospital Saturday after a strong chlorine odor shut down the Thomas A. Soetaert  Aquatic Center in Shawnee. 

Shawnee Fire Marshall Corey Sands said an eight year-old complained of trouble breathing at the aquatic center at Johnson Drive and Pflumm Road..

Thirteen people declined medical treatment.

An investigation revealed a problem with chlorinators in one area of the pool.

The center shut down for the day.

The chlorine levels were tested and were found to be safe.

The center will reopen Sunday at 12:30 p.m.