A Kansas City home on the National Register of Historic Places caught on fire early Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to 3240 Norledge Avenue, near Kessler Park and the Kansas City Museum, around 5 a.m.
The third floor collapsed and at one point the flames were so intense they could not go inside, officials say.
The homeowners were not home at the time flames broke out. Officials say they live in Hiawatha, Kansas and use the house on the weekends and for parties.
To take a tour of the home before the fire, click here.
Neighbors told 41 Action News the home was built in the 1800s by John Welborn Root from Chicago for William Chick Scarritt, a Kansas City lawyer.
"I think it's just the lost of a project they put their heart and soul into," said director of the Kansas City Museum Anna Marie Tutera. "Their care with the property, their respect for it, their love for this neighborhood."
Neighbors say they are devastated to see the loss and describe the brownstone as the anchor in the neighborhood.
"The whole neighborhood was so happy when they bouth this home and were able to restore it to its former glory," said former neighbor Carol Royster. "It's truly a loss of a work of art."
41 Action News has also learned that the home once served as a nursing home.
Officials say there were no injuries.
— TJH (@THellhake) September 19, 2016