KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Disney fans may not get to see their favorite characters on the ice at the T-Mobile Center as previously announced Tuesday after all.
Kansas City, Missouri, City Councilman Eric Bunch tweeted Wednesday afternoon that Disney had not submitted an approval request to the KCMO Health Department as required for large gatherings for a series of "Disney On Ice: Dream Big" performances scheduled for Jan. 28 to Feb. 7 at the downtown arena.
"All events seeking an exception to current COVID restrictions must submit a plan for how they will meet health protocols," Bunch said on Twitter. "This event has not done that and will not even be considered for an exception until (a) plan is submitted."
Disney on Ice has not been approved by KCMO Health Dept. All events seeking an exception to current COVID restrictions must submit a plan for how they will meet health protocols. This event has not done that and will not even be considered for an exception until plan is submitted https://t.co/3eBrGZlyY1— Eric Bunch (@EricWBunch) December 30, 2020
Under the latest COVID-19 public health guidelines for KCMO, "gatherings of more than ten persons may take place only with the approval of the Director of Public Health after submission, review and approval of a plan to mitigate the potential spread of infectious disease."
Any person or entity hoping to host a larger gathering must submit their request and mitigation plan to by filling out a waiver form.
Safety measures are planned for all "Disney on Ice: Dream Big" events at the T-Mobile Center, according to the event website. Tickets are being sold in pods of up to eight people, which will be spaced out by eight feet, and everyone over the age of 2 must wear a facemask.
Capacity for the 16 scheduled shows will be capped at 20%, which is around 3,800 spectators.
Despite those plans, T-Mobile officials still must receive approval of a waiver from the city's health department to proceed.
According to a T-Mobile Center spokesperson, the venue submitted a COVID-19 Venue Requirements plan, which outlines general safety and health protocols for hosting events under Phase 2 guidelines, to the KCMO Health Department in October.
"In addition, each event is required to submit a safety protocol plan that is responsive and specific to the needs and details related to that production," the T-Mobile Center spokesperson said.
KCMO Mayor Quinton Lucas commented on the confusion via social media.
"A clear miscommunication (at best) (between) city-owned arena and the city health department that city electeds know nothing about shows a concern, particularly in a chat about independent but related school decisions," Lucas said on Twitter.
Some advantages to diffused structures. Obviously sometimes not. A clear miscommunication (at best) b/w city-owned arena and the city health department that city electeds know nothing about shows a concern, particularly in a chat about independent but related school decisions. https://t.co/QtehFdKwRr— Mayor Q (@QuintonLucasKC) December 30, 2020
A spokesperson for the KCMO Health Department confirmed to 41 Action News that the "Disney On Ice" production company and the T-Mobile Center have yet to submit a plan for approval for next month's events.
The spokesperson said the department reached out to the T-Mobile Center on Wednesday morning explaining a plan has yet to submitted, which T-Mobile Center officials have in the works.
"T-Mobile Center and Feld Entertainment are committed to working with local public health officials to ensure the event specific safety plan addresses the guidelines, protocols and procedures outlined in the most recent emergency order," an arena spokesperson told 41 Action News. "Elements of the safety protocols already in place include reduced seating capacity, utilizing a pod seating structure, mask requirements, contactless shopping and increased environmental hygiene efforts for performers, guests and associates."