KANSAS CITY, Mo. — As the sunset Friday evening "Taking It the Streets" was getting to hand out meals for a needy or homeless person in Kansas City
A familiar face is back with them, founder, Scott Lamaster.
"To the doctors' eyes I should be back at home sleeping and getting rest but i just want to be an encouragement to the men and women out there that no matter the pain, no matter the trouble in life that god is able," Lamaster said.
His return to the streets comes less than two weeks since he suffered severe burns on his hands and face while trying to grill food for the homeless.
"I went to light the grill and it exploded on me," Lamaster told 41 Action News. "And blew me back about six feet into one of our other units and so from there my son rushed me to the hospital."
While hospitalized the community rallied around Lamaster and his non-profit which not only helps the homeless but first responders as well.
"It was just a great outpour of support just the cards the messages the phone calls the texts and all the visits to the hospital it was — I was just truly blessed through that," Lamaster said.
Which is why he's now spreading a message of hope.
"Somehow through my burning that I went through, the suffering that I went through that me being out here can be encouraging for someone," Lamaster said.
It sure was for "Whitehawk", one of the more than one hundred folks Lamaster served during his 15 stops on this night.
"I kind of thought that he was worse than he was you know it's kind of a miracle," Whitehawk said.
Lamaster is now in the process of raising $7,500 to buy another commercial grill to continue his organization's mission to feed Kansas City's homeless.