NewsLocal News


Husband of woman found dead in storage unit told police her body was in a cooler

Posted at 4:02 PM, Oct 31, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-31 17:02:52-04

LENEXA, Kan. -- Search warrant documents give details about how police found a woman's remains in a Lenexa storage unit.

On October 24, Lenexa police went to U-Haul at 9250 Marshall Dr. to check on people who had been sleeping in a storage unit. During the investigation, officers found human remains in a storage unit

Police later said the remains were those of a woman. Family identified the woman as Jessica Monteiro Rey. Her husband, Justin Rey, had been living in the same storage unit and had the couple's newborn and toddler with him.

Court documents say the couple was staying at WoodSpring Suites at 8805 Leeds Road in Kansas City, Missouri just a month prior. They checked into the hotel on September 25 while Monteiro Rey was still pregnant. 

She was last seen alive October 20.

Court documents say when officers went to the storage facility, Rey told them his wife was dead and had committed suicide after giving birth. According to the documents, Rey looked at a cooler and told officers his wife's body was inside.  

During the investigation, WoodSpring Suites management told detectives Rey called the front desk, disguised his voice as a female, and checked out of their room October 23.

In surveillance footage from the hotel, Rey is seen walking through the hotel pulling a red cooler covered by a black bag and pushing a stroller with a toddler walking beside him, according to court documents.

The documents say on October 24, Rey went back to the hotel and told staff he forgot something.

Investigators are requesting the surveillance footage from the hotel.

Monteiro Rey’s sisters, Sarah and Rhonda, told 41 Action News detectives called them last week and said their sister was in the cooler and that her body was not intact.

Police haven’t confirmed the woman's identity or any details to 41 Action News.

Rey is facing child endangerment charges because the two children that were with him didn’t have access to food, diapers or a place to sleep. A judge set his bond at $1 million in the case.

Rey is due in court November 2.

The children are in protective custody.