KANSAS CITY, Mo. — UPDATE: Jan 25, 7:15a.m.: Fire officials said careless discard of smoking material is to blame for the fire.
A young adult (previously identified as a juvenile) told investigators he had smoked a cigarette before going to sleep, and later awoke to a fire on the sofa in the basement.
He briefly tried to fight the fire, before alerting the two other adults in the home and evacuating.
Investigators believe the home did not have working smoke alarms.
A juvenile suffered hand and foot burns and is reported in stable condition following an early morning house fire in the 9500 block of Catalina.
Emergency crews were called to the scene just after 3:30 a.m.
Two adults made it out of the home without injuries.
Upon arrival, fire and smoke was reported from a significant fire on the main level of the home.
An additional small fire was reported in the basement.
The fire was brought under control in about 30 minutes.
The home suffered significant fire and smoke damage.