NewsLocal News


Kansas resident using lighter as flashlight sparks fire

Emergency Lights
Posted at 10:05 AM, Jan 25, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-25 11:05:23-05

HUTCHINSON, Kan. — A Hutchinson resident who used a lighter as a flashlight accidently lit the underside of the bed, starting a fire that heavily damaged the house, fire officials said.

Firefighters responding to a call at 5:20 p.m. Sunday found heavy smoke and fire coming from a window on the front of the single-story home, the Hutchinson News reported.

The two adults and child who were in the home got out unharmed.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the room where it started, but the two-bedroom home sustained smoke and heat damage throughout, according to a news release.

Red Cross is helping the tenants, as the home is uninhabitable.